Main Photo

Main Photo
Photograph: Alexus S. Kilpack

Sunday, March 29, 2015

A Spark In The Dark

Not long ago I came to know a girl who saw much differently this realm in which I live.  To her this place is nothing but darkness and rust, with a sky sunk low over a town crumbling with age.  Upon these streets she claims that she does not see warm faces of friendship and trust, but monsters bizarre engulfed within a dense fog that never lifts.

She described these monsters as nearly human, but their skin bald, torn, and stitched.  She told me that I appear faintly like a ghost, and that I will likely remain visible for another day at the most.  At that point I knew not what to think of the stories she told, but it was so difficult to find her insane for the immense detail in the things of which she spoke.

As a child she knew a life of the perfect norm, changing weather, and no knowledge of the depression which comes from being alone.  She did not know of the anger which comes from struggle and loss.  She did not know the sound nor feeling of a horrific beating heart.  I fell victim to her tales, wanting to hear more and to see it all for myself.  The move I would make next was far from smart, and what I was to experience next was nothing less then death & chaos.

The girl looked at me with teary, wide eyes, saying that they were coming for her now.  This is when her figure began to disappear right in front of me.  I had to act quickly, there was no room to be slow for now I could see ashes falling down from the sky as if it were snow.  A spark flared behind her, growing into a gaping hole, and outward flowed a rolling fog.  I couldn't leave her for I knew I would forever dream of her, so I did what I thought was brave... I followed her into the dark.


Ervin M. Amaya

                                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment