Main Photo

Main Photo
Photograph: Alexus S. Kilpack

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Cellar Door

Through the cellar door my mother always warned me not to go.  She would say if ever I went I would meet an unlikely surprise, and that there would be a lump price to pay.

I  would sit there and stare while the imagination filled my mind with curious thoughts as to what I could possibly find. Then there came the time I heard a knock on the door, and a whisper from inside.  That's when this poor boy just couldn't stay away.

I searched my mother's drawer to find the set of keys with which I could gain entrance through the cellar door.  At last there was no lock holding me back, and I descended down into the humid space.
 
The stairs creaked on my way down, sounding my presence.  As I reached the last step I tripped and fell -what lack of grace- knocking myself unconscious upon hitting my head on some random shelf.

When I awoke I found myself sitting in a steal chair -this was indeed very startling to me- and I could smell a foul odor lingering in the air.  It was so dark I could barely see, then that strange whisper I could hear somewhere close behind me.  This was the first time I had real intent to say a prayer.

It was a thing, some hideous thing that leaped to stand right in front of me.  So dark I could hardly tell, but I could see it had sharp teeth as it flared them at me.  It whispered "You are mine and you will never leave, and I will eat you inside out while you're still alive.  Now you will know what it's like to feel real fear."

I screamed so loud hoping someone would hear, then I awoke in bed for it was only just a dream.  Thank God, it was simply a fantasy in my sleep, but wait I could feel something breathing and drooling down on my feet.  Suddenly there was my mother standing next to me, she said "I told you to stay away, and for what you saw there is a price to pay, horrors like that don't play for free."



E.M.A.

1 comment: